For the past week, I’ve been crafting like it’s my job. I also had an unusually high number of fun activities. I had lunch in Diagon Alley with Ravelry friends who were in Orlando on vacation from Massachusetts.
I went to my first ever professional soccer game. It was my cousin’s wife’s birthday and that’s what she wanted to do.
My husband and I bought tickets to view last Sunday’s SpaceX Falcon 9 launch from the NASA causeway. We didn’t want to get up at the crack of dawn and drive over, so we drove over Saturday night and stayed in a hotel.
Here’s the video I took of the launch. The vehicle failed 139 seconds after launch. I stopped recording two seconds before that because I was using my phone to record video and could barely see anything at that point. It looked like a beautiful, perfect launch with nothing more to see. And then the Liquid Oxygen tank exploded.
I still managed to get quite a bit of crafting done! Let’s review the ridiculously ambitious list of goals I wrote:
Goals for June 21 to 30, 2015
- Finish Raindrops on Roses Shawl (Headmistress Challenge)
- Finish Grisou Scarf (homework, but which class?)
- Finish Solid / 1×1 Scarf (OWL)
- Three more color and weave scarves to meet OWL 50% (highly unlikely to finish)
- Finish current Heart Illusion Dishcloth, plus 4 more (COMC?)
- Tier Scarf (Charms or Potions)
- Crochet Dishcloths (Transfiguration)
- MHK1 swatches (Divination and / or Charms)
- Small stuffed bird (DADA)
- Cast on Sweet Summer Shawl (Quidditch Round 3; due July 8)
- Liquid Silver Swatch (OOTP; due July 19)
- Cast on Begonia Swirl Shawl (Headmistress Challenge; due July 28)
Fully Accomplished Goals
I finished the Raindrops on Roses Shawl. I absolutely love it. I test knit this for Assorted Musings (Ravelry, blog); the pattern will be released on July 15. I plan to publish a detailed blog post for FO Friday on July 3.
I finished the Grisou Scarf. I test knit this for Sasoolero (Ravelry, blog) and I’m not sure when she plans to release the pattern. I will publish a blog post on this project for FO Friday on July 3.
Partially Accomplished Goals
I started the Solid / 1×1 Scarf. I’ve woven somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of it. I have the hardest time taking pictures of weaving in progress. Since the finished work gets wound onto the cloth beam, it’s difficult to see progress!
I finished the Heart Illusion Dishcloth that I had in progress, plus two more.
I started the tier scarf and knit about 1/3 of it.
I crocheted one dishcloth. In my goal, I didn’t say how many I wanted to knit. I need 18 for the Dishcloth Advent Calendar, but didn’t expect to get them all done this month. I was hoping for 9. I learned how to single crochet increase, single crochet decrease, and crochet through the back loop.
I knit the first 3 swatches for MHK1. I still need to weave in the ends and block them. I also wrote answers to several more questions.
As expected, I did not weave the 3 additional scarves for my OWL. I did not make the stuffed bird. I decided to submit the Grisou scarf for DADA instead, and didn’t need the bird for anything else. I have not cast on the Sweet Summer Shawl. I will be doing that today. I have not swatched for Liquid Silver. I will be doing that today. I have not cast on Begonia Swirl Shawl. I think I’m going to wait a couple of weeks and cast on before I go to TKGA in San Diego. It will make excellent travel knitting.
I made a felted cat bed for Tiger. I managed to knit 1,047 yards worth of garter stitch in less than 3 days, felt it, and stitch it together! It wasn’t on my goal list because I hadn’t decided to do it until after I wrote that list. Tiger’s been sleeping on an alpaca blanket my father bought me when he was in Peru and I didn’t want it ruined. I needed a quick replacement.
Goals for July 1 to 5, 2015
- Knit at least 1/2 of the Sweet Summer Shawl
- Cast on Miranda Shawl
- Swatch and Cast on Bubbles Baby Blanket
- Swatch and Cast on Liquid Silver Shawl
- Finish spinning and plying the Cormo I’ve been working on since February
- Start spinning the 3 Feet of Sheep (8 ounces BFL) on July 4 for Tour de Fleece
I’m tempted to write more, but I think this is more than enough. My husband is off on Friday and Monday for the July 4 holiday. I will have less crafting time than usual because I’ll be hanging out with him, and we’re going to the beach for at least one day!
Updated List of Goals for 2015
- Knit myself a sweater
- Improve my finishing techniques
- Finish MHK Level 1
- First 3 swatches finished by June 24, 2015
- Dishcloth Advent Calendar
- Tribbles, finished January 18, 2015
- Leaves, finished March 30, 2015 but never blogged
- Heart Illusion Dishcloths (in progress)
- Charity Knits
- Mock Rib Scarf, finished January 18, 2015
- Emergency Scarf, finished June 1, 2015
- Do some test knits
- Sand Tracks Scarf, finished June 16, 2015
- Grisou Scarf, finished June 24, 2015
- Raindrops on Roses Shawlette, finished June 27, 2015
- Finish or frog all UFOs
- Traveling Scarf
- Bigger on the Inside Hat
- Quinn Bag
- Baby Blue Monster
- Wearing o’ the Green(e) Socks, finished February 14, 2015
- Other Projects
- Clapotis, finished June 1, 2015
- Liquid Silver (remaking from scratch, since I frogged it!)
- Fountain Pen Shawl
- Begonia Swirl Shawl (remaking from scratch, since a friend accidentally felted the first one)
- Felted Cat Bed, finished May 16, 2015
- Tiger’s New Bed, finished June 30, 2015
- Design at least one project from scratch
- Super Secret Shawl, finished June 1, 2015
- Learn to read crochet patterns
- Learn all the basic crochet stitches.
- Make at least one non-granny square crochet project
- Dishcloth Advent Calendar
- Diagonal Crochet Dishcloths (in progress)
- Breed Specific Spinning
- Learn to spin on a drop spindle
- Continue playing with color and weave drafts
- Ravenclaw Houndstooth Scarf, finished January 19, 2015
- Solid Warp, alternating picks, one of which matches warp, in progress
- Learn pick up stick drafts
- Learn Inkle Weaving
- Learn Kumihimo braiding
- Explore Twill weaves on the floor loom
- Make items for the Guild Sale
- Slytherin Houndstooth Scarf, finished May 1, 2015
- Woven Doctor Who Scarf, finished May 7, 2015
- Finish dyeing the MAPLE LEAF Shawls
- pH / water source experiment
- Return to dye triangles project