I know we are a week into the month, but there’s still 3 more weeks to go, so I’m still calling this a preview! August is a HPKCHC break month. I use break months to finish anything that is lingering from the end of term and get all my plans made for the beginning of the next term. Chris and I are vacationing the last week of August (heading to New Jersey to visit his mother), so I need to plan for some portable projects that I can bring with me on that trip.
I have several projects that are close to complete that I would like to finish during August.
- MAPLE LEAF the Third I just need to finish weaving in all those ends. I started on this, and have been doing a couple at a time, as breaks between bouts of housework.
- Granny Square Blanket I have a couple more squares to crochet and I have to assemble it.
- First Ever Socks Last fall, I started my first ever pair of socks. I am using a self-striping yarn, so doing afterthought heels. I got the socks totally knit, except for the heels, and discovered that the bind-off was too tight for the socks to get over my ankle. I have to unpick the bind-offs, bind-off again looser, and knit the heels.
- Baby Blue Hugo Monster I knit this monster last fall. All the pieces are knit; it just needs to be assembled. Stuff it, sew the arms on, sew on the face. Done!
- Lux Top Spun I am about 1/3 through the spinning of the Lux Top braid that I had started late last month as part of my OWL. I would like to get that finished this month.
In addition to finishing up those nearly there projects, I have several things I have yet to start that I would like to complete in April.
- Three MAPLE LEAF shawls I have 9 more to knit for Christmas presents. I want to be totally finished with the knitting by the end of October so that I have November and December to dye them. Done by the end of October means I need to knit 3 MAPLE LEAF shawls per month in August, September, and October.
- Mini Maple leaves I have several different ideas about how to dye the big shawls. I want to knit some small leaves (about the size of my hand) so I can practice different dyeing techniques over the next couple months. By the time I am done knitting, I want to have a plan for techniques and colors that I will use on the shawls.
I need to make a plan for the Fall HPKCHC term. I have a few ideas already. Obviously, I will be knitting MAPLE LEAF shawls in September and October. I also want to do one spinning project, one crochet project, and one dyeing project for each month, but do not have specific selections yet for what they will be. I have to decide what to do for my OOTP Mission and for my OWL. I have a couple ideas, so need to look at patterns and do some swatching to come up with a solid plan. And what about Quidditch?
At the beginning of this year, I said that I wanted to knit 12 shawls, 12 pairs of socks, and 12 Hugos this year. I will blow the shawl goal out of the water on MAPLE LEAF shawls alone, but have not made much progress on the other two goals. I will be looking at options for advancing those two goals and fitting them into the HPKCHC structure.
I also have non- HPKCHC planning to do. Some of that is related to this blog. I have ideas of what I would like to do with the blog and need to get the ideas out of my head and in to an actual plan. I have other fibery projects in the works that I am not quite ready to share, but it is all quite exciting. Hang on folks! August is going to be a wild ride.