This is a test… And a confession

Yesterday, Chris moved all my website database to the new host.  I figured I would write a new post to make sure everything is working properly.  Good thing I did — turns out my theme broke when we moved to the new host, so I had to install a new one.  I have more work to do on visuals — the logo I was using was too big for this theme, so I cropped it.  I’d rather make a new logo to fit properly, once I decide if I’m sticking with this new theme.

This is my second shot at writing this post.  I wrote the whole thing yesterday, but it turns out the new name servers hadn’t propagated to my desktop yet, so when that finally went through, I lost everything I had written 🙁

I’ve decided that I’m going to use this blog as an accountability tool for the next couple months.  I’m going to post weekly, aiming for Sunday, with what I’m trying to accomplish in the next week and what I actually accomplished in the last week.  As I mentioned in my last post, several rooms in our house aren’t really functional due to the accumulated detritus of the last few years.  For the next couple months, I am focusing on returning this house to a functional home.  Here’s the confession part — actual pictures of how it looks now.

 

The hallway. Straight ahead is Chris’ office. The door to the right is the bathroom. The door to the left is my office. When I took this picture, I was standing in front of the door to our bedroom

 

Looking from the hall into the bathroom.

 

Where the tub and toilet should be.

 

The bookshelf and a corner of the desk in my office.

 

My desk, where I’m sitting and writing this blog post!

 

Looking straight through the door into my office.

 

The loom is sitting in what is meant to be the closet in my office. The prior owners of the house removed the doors and built shelves into the sides. We left it that way.

 

This room, located off our kitchen, is intended as a family room, but we’ve never used it that way. We used it as a dining room for a while, but for the last 7 years or so it’s been hydroponics and miscellaneous storage.

 

The dining room / library.

 

The living room.

 

The Overall Plan

Finish the bathroom before we have a houseguest in early August.

Create a sewing / crafting area in the ‘family’ room.

Sort through books and find storage solutions for them.

Turn office into a functional space.

Get remaining looms out of storage unit (not pictured) before the next payment is due on July 13.

 

This Week’s Tasks

  1. Get the tub installed.  The plumber was here last week to install the tub, but wasn’t able to shut off the water to the house.  The water company was here this morning and didn’t have any problems with the valve on the meter.  Today I need to call the plumber to reschedule tub installation.
  2. Learn to spackle and finish spackling the ceiling in the bathroom.  Chris has done all the spackling (I love that autocorrect turned that into ‘sparkling’ — is he a Twilight vampire and I haven’t noticed?!), but it is killing his back so I’m going to finish it.  I’ve never speckled before, but it can’t be that different than icing a cake, right?
  3. Finish sampling varnish options for the bathroom vanity.
  4. Varnish the bathroom vanity.
  5. Finish all coats of Danish Oil on the loom I’m refinishing for Lorelle.  This is necessary to have space to work on the looms that are in the storage unit.
  6. Sort through all the books.  Donated any unwanted books to the library.
  7. Paint the four bookshelves I bought from the used bookstore that went out of business on Saturday.  Canary yellow = not a good look for our space!
  8. Sell 4 bar stools and the TV from the ‘family’ room.
  9. Take the two tables out of the family room, remove bar-height legs, and add standard-height legs.
  10. Put bookcase from hallway on top of family room entertainment center and use it as temporary storage for dyeing supplies.  The long-term plan is to build a matching cabinet for the top of the entertainment center, but that won’t happen this week.
  11. Get the cart out of the family room and back to the garage.  Find new homes (either here or by donating) for everything stored on it.
  12. Thoroughly clean the floor on the side of the family room where the tables are.
  13. Install all the newly painted bookcases: 3 in the family room, along the wall, and one in the hallway to replace existing shelf.
  14. Put the standard-height tables back into the family room.
  15. If the bookcases are sufficiently cured, shelve all books.  This may need to wait for next week if the bookcases aren’t cured.
  16. Return folding table to Shellee once I shelve all the books.

Did I finish all these tasks?  Find out in post two of this series.

2015 Goals and Plans

I do not set crafting resolutions.  To me, the word “resolution” implies doing something drastically different than you had been doing before.  I’ve been a fiber crafter for a long time and that is not going to change.  Instead, I set goals and make plans.  Goals differ from resolutions in that goals are smaller, concrete, and incremental.  I already have a base of fiber crafting skills and I want to build on those skills.  There’s many things I have never done, especially with crochet, spinning, weaving, and dyeing as these are the skills that I have only acquired in the last two years.  Although I’ve been knitting for 20+ years, I spent many of those years knitting the kinds of projects where gauge is nearly irrelevant and so the list of things I have never done with knitting is longer than you might expect. I’m starting out the year by picking one or two skills to work on for each of the fiber crafts.

Continue reading “2015 Goals and Plans”